Just like you manage to keep your body healthy, it’s vital to keep a frequent check on your teeth. They are a significant part of your face as who wouldn’t like to show off some pearly white teeth? So, proper oral hygiene should be followed strictly by everyone. But what if the same food eats our teeth back? The truth is that the sugary, processed drinks and highly acidic food eat away the tooth enamel, inviting cavities. Hence, it is crucial to focus on a healthy diet and even take care of what all you have as snacks to promote healthy and shiny teeth.
What food to avoid
This thought of making the appropriate distance from the unhealthy snacks calls for the complete information about which food is to be avoided. Thus, below is the list of the same:
- Avoid too many sweets- Cavities are top concern when it comes to sugary and sticky foods. No matter what form this sugary food is, if it sticks to your teeth, it is without a doubt an open invitation to bacterias and plaque. One of those sticky and sweet things to avoid is candy. They are chewy and stick to your teeth for a longer time.
- Be careful in consuming teeth-staining drinks- Few drinks like coffee, tea, red wine, etc. tend to cause stains on the teeth as they have chromogens( color pigments) in them. Now, that doesn’t mean you are completely devoid of your favorite coffee; all you need to do is have enough water to wash away the stains.
- Starchy food like potato chips- Many of us may find potato chips as the tastiest snack and consume it in large amounts even though they have a significant amount of starch. This starch is converted to sugar and then trapped in between the teeth to cause the harmful plaque.
- Dry fruits – While dry fruits may seem to be one of the healthiest snacks, a few of them like raisins, apricots, prunes, etc. are sticky that cling to the teeth and harm the enamel.
What consists the healthy snacks
As it is clear that some snacks can be disastrous for the teeth enamel and gums, you need to think twice before picking anything to eat now onwards. Well, the ideal meals for your teeth are those that don’t stick to the teeth, which are not too sugary or acidic and contain some tooth-friendly components like calcium and phosphorus as well as stimulate the release of saliva. Have a look at some of the healthy snacks:
- Oatcakes with sugar-free peanut butter
- Sugar-free boiled sweets
If you still have doubts regarding the people who feed on sugary and sticky food and drinks but have a good set of teeth, you need to know a few things. Some factors have to be considered if you have that craving for unhealthy snacks.
- Note the frequency of having such unhealthy snacks and lessen it gradually.
- Always rinse your mouth after taking the snacks, especially after consuming the sticky food like candies and chips.
- Drink more and more water to neutralize the acidic effects of these foods.
- If you can’t resist having sweets, take them in the form of dessert, followed by meals, and brush your teeth after 20-30 minutes.
Keep the above information handy and consume the snacks that help you have healthy, white teeth.